Case Study of Pulse Candy Success Story.
Success Story of Pulse Candy.
Pulse candy is the hero product of DS Group in all possible ways. Pulse candy earned a whopping Rs 100 crore turnover in the first eight months of its launch. It also equals the record of Coke Zero in terms of turnover.
Initially company launched the product in only three states – Rajasthan, Delhi and Gujarat. Realizing Pulse’s huge potential, company started to feed Pulse in stores in Singapore, the UK and the US.
Pulse candy is a Dharampal Satyapal Group product. This group also makes Rajnigandha, Pass Pass and catch Spices. The key point is that DS Group spent no amount on advertising and promotions of this candy. The candy gained popularity through mouth publicity.
Key facts about Pulse candy :-
- The formula for this product was conceptualized in 2013, and the company spent nearly 2 years in research and development.
- In early 2015, company launched the product which caught the attention of people and gave headache to many marketers.
- Pulse candy brought a revolution. Many people became addicted to it and result company not able to meet the demand of the market.
- In February 2016, the company launched a new flavor “Guava with Tangy Twist”.
- In 2017, the candy crossed Rs 300 crores of sales. It surpassed brands like Mars Bars (Rs 270 crore sales) and OREO (Rs283 crore sales).
- India has huge potential in candy market with total turnover of Rs 6600 crore. This market is growing at an annual rate of 12-14%.
- Italy’s Perfetti leads the market with more than Rs 2000 crore in annual sales. Perfetti manufactured products like Alpenliebe, Mentos candies, Happydent and Chlor-mint. Parle, Wrigley and ITC Ltd are the other major players who has a big share in the market.
Pulse Candy – Success Factors
DS Groups put in a time of nearly 2 years and a lot of hard work in coming up with the right product. Company did an extensive R&D and market study to realize that raw mango was eaten and liked by people of all ages in India.
Moreover, to excite the customers, the company added an element of surprise in the candy which changes its taste from sour to sweet towards the end.
The product focuses on all age groups which maximizes the chances of success.
In every industry packaging plays a vital role in purchase decision of the consumer.
Pulse candy has packaging of bright coloured which increase its visibility and also attract the attention of the customers getting them to at least try the candy once.
3.Strong Distribution Hold
The key success factor for any company is the distribution channel. If the company can strengthen the product’s reach and visibility, the chances of its success is high.
DS Group already had a strong presence in the market as Rajnigandha is already a leading Pan Masala brand with over 70% market share.
Within the first few months of its launch, candy was sold everywhere from a pan stall to a big retail shop.
4.Value for money
Normally we found candies sold for Rs 0.5, but pulse candy offered price of Rs 1. To justify the price, pulse candy launched with the weight of 4 gm as compared to other candies having weight of 2.5 gm.
Pulse candy gave its customers dual taste with an element of surprise. These things ensure that people found it a value for money product.
If you want to revolutionize your sales then word of mouth is one of the most cost efficient and effective ways of promoting a business.
DS Group spent no money on advertising and promotions. But still the candy gained popularity and that is through word of mouth.
Many people referred the candy to their close ones. People even went to the extent of making FB pages and “Pulse – Fan Communities. Some even give it a tag “The Pulse of the Nation”.
DS Group did a extensive R&D to develop the product which is like by all age groups. The product is like by kids, college going students, working professionals and smokers.
Pulse offered candy of weight 4 gram whereas other brands offering candy of 2.5 gram which makes it more valuable than other brands.
Lee Iacocca once said – “ When a product is right, you don’t have to a Great Marketer” and Pulse candy has proved this quote right.
Now Pulse candy success story pick up the pace as in some seminars and in colleges professionals uses example of Pulse success story.
Pulse candy made profit of Rs 80 crore in first year of its introduction and still leading the market. Even some retailers offered pulse to consumers in Rs 1.5 and still people buying it.
Coming years seems to be very interesting as what will be strategy of DS Group for its heroic product in international market.
If you are the business owner and then you must read the challenges faced by business owners.